How to get name off title or retrieve car?

How to get name off title or retrieve car??
My problem is this:
Several months ago, my husband ”sold” my vehicle to his the time, my father-in-law did not or could not obtain insurance so the title was not transferred. There is no bill of sale, and I never saw any money, so I am not really sure if it was indeed ”sold”. My husband and I are now bitterly seperated, and neither he nor his family will answer any of my calls or messages concerning this vehicle. The title is in my name only, and I have been paying the insurance. The car is on his father’s private property, and I have been told that it is not running (trans).
How can I either get the title into his name, get my name off of the title to eliminate my liability or have the vehicle towed from private property?? I cannot afford to pay the insurance, but I have to keep it on since the vehicle is registered, even tho it is not running…HELP!!
I have two small children..I cannot afford to run into any trouble caused by his driving while intoxicated as he is an alcoholic…

One thought on “How to get name off title or retrieve car?

  1. Re: How to get name off title or retrieve car??
    If you still have the title you can transfer it to your father-in-law. The problem with doing that is you would need to turn in the plate. Which I will assume is still on the car.

    The other method would be to file a complaint with the police that the car has been stolen. Because you know where the . Assuming they would investigate your father-in-law would have to produce a bill of sale or title. He’d also have to explain the license plate on the car.

    Have you talked to PennDOT about this?

    If you have further questions or concerns feel free to call me. I don’t charge for initial consultations. Just look me up on Law Guru. I am in Lower Paxton just eat of Harrisburg.

    Good Luck


    John Davidson
    Law Office of John A. Davidson
    107 North Front Street Suite 117
    Harrisburg, PA 17101

Comments are closed.