Non-tenant co-signer.

Non-tenant co-signer. Fraudulent co-signer on rental agreement. Ruined credit
My mother signed my name to a rental agreement for an account. She created an alias using my name and hers. This was about 5 years ago. Recently she was evicted. about 6 months ago. I didn’t find out about my name being on the rental agreement until the day I moved her out. The court process had already started unbeknownst to me. I have had my checking and savings account cleaned out by a judgement against she and I. This judgement will follow me everywhere. I’m concerned about my credit. What can I do to get that taken off? I am ready to sue if necessary in this case. She is paying me back but I don’t feel like I’m safe from this happening again. What kind of legal action can I take?

2 thoughts on “Non-tenant co-signer.

  1. Re: Non-tenant co-signer. Fraudulent co-signer on rental agreement. Ruined cre
    You can sue her if you want, as she is the cause of your problems. Not much of a remedy though. You also should try to get the judgment against you set aside on the basis of the fraud, consult an attorney. You should also try to get your credit reports cleared with the same argument. Contact me if interested in obtaining help doing so.

    Terry A. Nelson
    Nelson & Lawless
    18685 Main St., #175
    Huntington Beach, CA 92648

  2. Re: Non-tenant co-signer. Fraudulent co-signer on rental agreement. Ruined cre
    Thanks for your posting.

    Although you can challenge incorrect information on your credit report, I believe that the creditors will be able to show that you do have a judgment in your name.

    You must apply for relief from default, and then set the case for trial. This is done through a motion and declaration and oral testimony in court. Some courts will require that you post a bond for the amount of the judgment.

    Only by having the judgment lifted and prevailing at trial can you remove this information and “undo” the judgment.

    I hope this information helps, but if you have other questions, want more information, or feel you need legal assistance, please feel free to contact me at

    Robert Miller
    Robert L. Miller & Associates, A Law Corporation
    Orange County, Riverside Counties
    , CA

Comments are closed.